Project teams are increasingly being challenged to deliver fixed-price and multi-organizational projects in tight schedules. The processes of project management in global industries are becoming much more standardized with the common language established by the PMI® in the A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK© Guide). This class provides advanced training in time and cost issues and provides techniques for successfully integrating best practices into a project.
This class uses tools available on a Project Manager’s laptop – Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Project. It builds on previous project management training, and advances that training into a environment that utilizes the global processes for large and small projects. The class does a “deep dive” into the world of advanced cost and time management practices as described in the PMBOK® guide with instruction on which tools are most applicable to a complex project. Key techniques and tools are emphasized with classroom exercises and case studies that further develop a mastery of the application of the theory learned. The class is taught in a fashion that is open to all employees with a background in project management.
It is recommended that students be familiar with Microsoft Project and Microsoft Office, or have taken BlackBox’s Introduction to Microsoft Project course prior to the class.
- Define Activities: Scope definition through work breakdown structures.
- Sequence Activities: Precedence relationships among project tasks.
- Estimate Activity Resources: Resource types and planning.
- Estimate Activity Durations: Understanding the nature of time in project planning.
- Develop Schedule: Advanced network diagramming techniques.
- Control Schedule: Monitoring performance.
- Estimate Costs: Cost types and application.
- Determine Budget: Cost aggregation and projection.
- Control Costs: Earned Value Management( EVM) techniques.